History of our Golf Club
Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club was founded in 1880 which makes it one of the oldest Golf Clubs in England.
Our first professional was Willie Fernie who was the British Open Champion in 1884 and went onto to be the longest serving Professional at Royal Troon.
The Martello course is named after the Martello Tower which sits proudly alongside the 17th green. The Tower dates back to Napoleonic times and is a unique feature of the course.
Views across the Estuary feature Bawdsey Manor where Radar was invented in the 1940's. The Bawdsey Gold Medal is one of the oldest medal's in England and is still keenly competed for each summer.
In 1948 the course was redesigned by Henry Cotton.
In 2017 the Club was awarded English Golf Union Championship Venue of the Year 2017 after successfully hosting the English Women's County Finals.
Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club
The Club was founded when a group from the London Scottish and Wimbledon Golf Clubs played for the Bawdsey Gold Medal
30th October 1880
The Club was formerly established
Tom Dunn laid out the course and a lease was secured for the Martello Tower to become the first Clubhouse
The inaugral match against the recently established Great Yarmouth Golf Club took place
Willie Fernie the British Open Champion was appointed as the first Professional of the club
Colonel Tomline offered the current Clubhouse to the Club
The Ladies Section was formed and took up residence in their own clubhouse alongside the Martello Tower
The club was closed and handed over to the military and used as rifle range. The clubhouse became the Officers Mess
A group headed by JD Cobbold reinstated the course. James Braid was a key influence in the establishment of an additional 4 holes
Arthur Monk was appointed professional and remained in the post for 17 years.
The freehold of the course was purchased
Agreement reached with the Commoners for the future use of the land
Herbert Garnett purchased the club from the Members thus converting the Club to a proprietry club for a period of time.
At the outset of World War Two the club was requsitioned by the military. This included housing troops in the Clubhouse and the WRENs conducting the highly secretive Operation Outward
Walter Cross saved the club from closing when he purchased the club from Herbert Garnett
10th June 1950
The course was reopened with an exhibition match involving the co-architects Henry Cotton and Reginald Knight against
Max Faulkner and Cecil Denny
The course was flooded as part of the national wide flooding and closed for over 2 weeks
The club was returned to a private members club when the existing members purchased the club from the estate of the late Walter Cross
The Club hosted the East Anglian Open Championship
The Club celebrated its centenary in style by retaining the Tolly Trophy
Ian Macpherson was appointed as the Professional and became the longest serving professional at the club (37 years)
Club member Julie Wade became the British Ladies Strokeplay Champion, a feat she repeated in 1996
Jo Woodward won the British Ladies Strokeplay and went on to become both the English and Scottish Amateur Champion
The Club acquired additional land and established a large practice area
The Club acquired further land and constructed a full length attractive 9 hole course named the Kingsfleet
Holes 13, 14 and 15 were redesigned
The Professional Shop was renovated and Robert Joyce became the Head Professional.
The redesigned Professional Shop was opened by Pat Monk the daughter of Arthur Monk, Professional for 17 years
The Club hosted the National Competition, the England Women's County Finals and was subsequently awarded EGU Championship Venue status
The Club opened a state of the art practice facility
The Club was awarded the prestigeous "Championship Venue of the Year" by England Golf